KURDISTAN - LAND OF KURDS

KURDISTAN - LAND OF KURDS
"Kurds are not dead, Kurds are alive and our flag will never fall down."

BIJI KURD U KURDISTAN!

بژی کورد و کوردستان

LONG LIFE KURDISTAN!

Wednesday 14 April 2010

3. PEOPLE FROM KURDISTAN - PART II

Among a lot of things that I got to know about Kurdistan there were unfortunately also these, about which I would preffer not to know at all. And it was a lot of them. Too many. From kurdish tv, but mainly from this hewleri boy I got to know what have been done to these people for so many years. I could write here about terrible things, among these were kicking people out of their homes, out of all villigaes, coz the government put arabs there - but it seems to be nothing, when we know that a lot of these people were just burried alive by iraqis. Those who were lucky - stayed alive.  Those who were strong enough - survived. Those, who could escape or defend themselves - survived. Thousands didnt survive...

When some time later I strat to work in Magna Chocolate Factory, where a lot of people are Kurds - many times during my shift, I just stayed and stared at these poeples faces and the first thought that came to my head was: "How good that you are alive". And after thatIi couldnt get rid of thinking what Saddams opressors did to this or that person. Coz all these things didnt take place somewhere very far and very long time ago. No, it was just few years ago, at the end of XX century, almost in Europe and in front of whole world. This world, which stayed silent that time or even if not silent - which didnt screem loud enough to save thousands people from death.  I was looking at these boys in Magna and when I imagined what they might experience there - in Kurdistan, on their own land, when they were only few years old - I wanted to screem - of sorrow, anger and helplessness.

How good that you are alive, my dear brother Mushin - always in good mood, always joking and making fun for all 12 hours of our shift. When you was not too busy you used to make little animals from the glue that we used to stick the boxes and till now I have at home some of them - two beautiful elephants, mouse, donkey, rabbit and crocodile made by you. I know you are going to open your own shop, so you will not be back to Magna after seasonal brake, but you will stay in my heart and memory and maybe from time to time we will meet in supermarket. How good that you are alive, Mushin.

How good that you are alive, Hawar, my noddy little brother, who make me sometimes very mad with your unlimited joking. Always similing Hawar, whom Indian ladies called Hassan and I called Shirini, coz he was beutiful and had the longest lashes that I have ever seen in my life. Shirini - our lazy boy, who however always brought pallets from werehouse on time and who always knew if there was something wrong with Kulka. He only took one look at me and he knew straight away that I had problem - he asked whats wrong, tried to make things better, to find the way to help me, to advice me and I felt better when I saw his sweet smile. If you would live in Kurdistan a little bit more to north, Ali al-Majid could have killed you in March 1988. How good that you are alive, Hawar.

How good that you are alive, Ali - you unusually quiet and kind person, always ready to help. I felt better, when I knew Ali is working near me. We used to run after each other all over factory, like two crazy kids. How good that you are alive, Ali.

How good that you are alive, Jalal - very nice man, with the wonderful smile, which made me feel warm and good. Clever Jalal, who exactly knew that in the area where Kulka was working, he was supposed to listen to Kulka and to listen to Kulka's orders - and he used to do that, although it was me, who should listen to his orders. Sometimes you used to come to my workplace to help me for few minutes and after that you felt proud as if you work for me all 12 hours. How good that you are alive, Jalal.

How good that you are alive, Aras. Who could guess, looking at you, that you are so shy? Shy boy, always polite, always nice - my great brother Aras. You even dont know how much I am glad that you are alive.

How good that you are alive, Ibrahim - my dear brother. We understood each other with no words and we used to make jokes in canteen that only we two could make like that. Maybe one day I will tell you, how much i am glad that you are alive.

How good that you are alive, Kaywan - my youngest, the most noddy, but lovely brother. You always had to be the first to clock out, no matter the queue. Usually I was the first waiting to clock out, so I always let you to come and I always said to other people: "This is my brother, I keep the place in the queue for him". I am very glad that you are alive, Kaywan.

How good that you are alive - Mahmood from Halabja and your friend Osman, Mahmood from Hewler, Hawrea, Juma, Dilair, Aziz, Ary... - people thanks to whom I was able to go on in life, to stay alive, no matter of problems, coz they were wonderful. Coz they WERE there. And I hope I will see all of you in Magna after seasonal break and that looking at you I will be able to think again: how good that you are alive...

The article first published on 12 march 2007. 

No comments: